Making an appointment
Our practice has a range of skilled health professionals. This includes GPs, advanced nurse practitioners, podiatrists, physiotherapists, mental health workers and social prescribers.
When you call the practice, please be prepared to give a brief and confidential description of your symptoms. Our team are fully trained in triage so they can help you to see the right health professional for your needs.
We are now offering a mixture of online, telephone and face to face appointments, depending on your needs.
- To make an appointment, please call us on 0191 455 4621.
- For a medical emergency such as chest pain, a stroke or major bleeding, please call 999.
- If the surgery is closed, and you need medical help fast, visit www.111.nhs.uk or call 111. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.
- To order a prescription, please call our 24-hour prescription line on 0191 427 3140.
- If your call is about a letter, medical notes, a report, or following a referral, please call the secretarial team on 0191 283 2678.
There are many services, like physiotherapy or mental health support, which you can access without seeing a GP first.
- For mental health support, you can call the lifecycle service on 0191 283 2937.
- Physiotherapy can also be arranged directly by calling 0191 481 3902.
You can also visit www.nhs.uk for advice on common symptoms and a list of local services, or speak to your pharmacist for advice on minor illnesses. You can find your nearest pharmacist on the NHS website.
Our opening hours
Monday 8am – 7pm (Telephone lines only open until 6pm)
Tuesday 8am – 7pm (Telephone lines only open until 6pm)
Wednesday 8am – 6pm
Thursday 8am – 6pm
Friday 8am – 6pm
Saturday 8am – 12:45pm (for pre-booked appointments only, telephone lines will not operate on Saturdays)
Bank Holidays: (The surgery will be closed on all of the below dates)
- August Bank Holiday – Monday 28th August
- Christmas Day – Monday 25th December
- Boxing Day – Tuesday 26th December
- New Year’s Day – Monday 1st January
- Good Friday – Friday 29th March
- Easter Monday – Monday 1st April
- Early May Bank Holiday – Monday 6th May
- Late May Bank Holiday – Monday 27th May
- August Bank Holiday – Monday 26th August
- Christmas Day – Wednesday 25th December
- Boxing Day – Thursday 26th December
Out of hours appointments
We work with other local practices in South Tyneside to offer early morning, evening or weekend appointments for patients who need them. Please ask for one of these appointments if these times are more suitable for you.
If the practice is closed
If the practice is closed and you need urgent care, please visit 111.nhs.uk (for age 5+ only) or call 111.
Caring for minor ailments at home
A lots of minor of illnesses and symptoms can be treated at home with a well-stocked first aid kit.
Your local pharmacist is highly trained and provides free, confidential advice on minor illnesses from sickness and diarrhoea to hay fever. Pharmacies also have a quiet area for consultation if you need to speak to someone in private. Find a pharmacy near you.
For many common illnesses, if the pharmacist feels you need medicine, they can provide it without you seeing your GP first. If you don’t normally pay for prescriptions, this will be free (you will need to confirm that you are entitled to free prescriptions).
Blood Tests: 0191541010 or visit : https://links.inhealthcare.co.uk/stsftbloodtestbooking
Under 16s Blood Tests: 01914041048
COVID Vaccines: 01912831925
Physio Self Refer: 01914813902
Talking Therapies: 01912832937
Crisis Team: 03031231145
Palliative Care Team: 01912834561
District Nurses: 01912831381
Diabetic Eye Screening: 01914192430
Community Midwives: 01912831288
Sexual Health : 01914028168
Patient transport – please call ERS Medical on 0191 301 7687. Please note that Central Surgery no longer books transport for patients.